Table of Contents Hide
Many windows 10 users have been reporting that whenever they run the troubleshooter, they often get the service registration is missing or corrupt error but don’t know any solution for it, so how to fix it? Below are some solutions which will fix the service registration is missing or corrupt error in windows 10.
Fix service registration is missing or corrupt windows 10 Error
Uninstall the antivirus software
There are many instances where Antivirus software interferes with the Windows 10 functions and causes some error such as service registration is missing or corrupt. Whenever this error appears, the first thing you should do is remove your antivirus software. Usually, McAfee software causes this problem according to users but almost any other third party software can be a reason of the error. Just remove the tool and the error will be no more.
Check if some particular services are running
When windows update service registration is missing or corrupt error appears, you must check if the necessary services are working or not.
- Press Windows Key + R, write services.msc and Press Enter.
- Services window will open and you need to scroll all the way down till you find “Windows Update”. Double click Windows Update.
- In the Startup Type, select Automatic. [Not “Automatic(Delayed Start)”]
- In the Services status, click the Start button and wait a couple of seconds for it to run. Click Apply and save changes.
This will do the trick and will no longer show windows update service missing.
Some certain commands are needed to repair the windows 10 service registration is missing or corrupt and you may need to insert them if the error continues to occur.
- Press Windows Key + X which will open the Power User Menu.
- Select the Command Prompt (Admin) from below and a new window will open.
- Enter the following in the Command Prompt:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
Close the Command Prompt and check if the windows update service missing issue is repaired.
Delete certain values
Another solution for the windows updates service registration is missing or corrupt error in Windows 10 is to remove ThresholdOptedIn value. After you remove some values from the registry, it may cause some issues so you should have a backup of registry beforehand. Just follow the steps to open the Registry Editor:
- Press Windows Key + R, write regedit and Click OK.
- In the left side of the screen, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability
- In the Right, you will notice a ThresholdOptedIn value, delete it.
That’s another one of the easiest ways to fix the error and will no longer show windows update service missing.
If the windows update automated troubleshooter shows the service registration is missing or corrupt error, DISM Scan can be used to fix it.
- Press Windows Key + R, enter gpedit.msc and click OK.
- In the left side, go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Tools > System
- In the right side, double-click the Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair.
- Click on Enabled, insert the location that you need to fix and Apply the changes.
Most of the times, this solution might not work but when the other solutions fail to deliver, you might want to try this one to remove windows update service missing error.
Re-enable the Windows Firewall
Sometimes the windows update service registration is missing or corrupt error may appear when Windows Firewall isn’t working properly. Enable the service by following the steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc to open the Services window.
- Locate the Windows Firewall in the Services window and double click.a
- Select Automatic in the Startup Type.
- Click the Stop Button below and Click the Start again to Re-enable.
- Click Apply and save the changes.
The Windows Firewall Service is no re-enabled and it should no longer show service registration is missing or corrupt.
Windows 10 ISO
To fix the Windows 10 Installation, you need to use the Windows 10 ISO with the following steps:
- Click on https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10 and download ISO file from the Microsoft website.
- After it is downloaded, double-click the file to mount.
- Run the setup.exe file after the mounting is done.
- Go through with the given instructions to upgrade Windows 10.
Recommended articles :
Make sure to download the correct file, otherwise, the windows update service registration is missing or corrupt will not be fixed.
New User Account
Once you create a new User Account, it will fix all of your problems, so follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Family & Other users.
- Click on “Add someone else to this PC”
- Click on “I don’t have this person’s information”
- Enter the name and password of your choice and click Next.
- After a new user is created, switch to the new user and see if the error still appears.
Service registration is missing or corrupt has been bugging a lot of users, but after you use any of the above solutions, it may no longer exist in your device.